Saturday, October 6, 2012

Holding on. . .

Our lagoon is normally very calm and smooth like glass. It usually has a beautiful blue/green color but this past week we have had some incredible wind and rain and waves. At first we only had a few small waves but then, just like in life, if we are not learning and listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost we can get wind, rain and waves in abundance.
The scriptures teach us that “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom"
As the week continued on the wind became more powerful and the waves reached upwards of 8-10 feet and the water got very merky and brownish in color. We must learn to seek the power and direction that is available to us and then follow that course no matter what. First on our “to do” list is the word prayer. Some of the time our prayers might be silent. We can think a prayer cause we know prayers are always heard. We are never alone and that brings comfort.
Discovering how the Holy Ghost operates is the quest of a lifetime. Once we have made that discovery and connection for ourselves, we can live in enemy territory and not be deceived or destroyed. Each one of us as members of this Church, that lives by these principles, will never make a serious mistake without first being warned by the promptings of the Holy Ghost. It is up to us to heed the warnings.
One evening I decided to take a walk on our dock to feel the cool weather and look at the waves. It is always nice when we have a breeze to cool the heat that is ever present. I was prompted to move off the dock and back onto the cement. On my way back I slipped and fell on the wet wooden plank. Just then another wave hit the dock where I had been. I knew it was the Holy Ghost helping me be safe. No matter how short I think I fall in comparsion to others, no matter how little value others see in me, Jesus felt I was worth the price He had to pay. Listening and being worthy to receive is a true blessing and so I returned back to the apartment being very thankful.
The key word is discipline—self-discipline. The word discipline comes from the word disciple or follower. Be a disciple-follower of the Savior, and you can be safe. Now I don't mean to sound like nothing will ever happen, things will happen to us, that is part of mortality, but if something does happen we want to make sure we know we are on the right side.
"President Monson" says, when the time for the decision arrives, the time for preparation is past. This quote is always on my mind - be prepared!
Guilt is spiritual pain. Do not suffer from chronic pain. Get rid of it. Be done with it. Repent, and if necessary, repent again and again and again and again until you—not the enemy—are in charge of you. I have learned that guilt doesn't make me guilty, it makes me honest.
Do not fear the future. Go forward with hope and faith. Remember that supernal gift of the Holy Ghost. Learn to be taught by it. Learn to seek it. Learn to live by it. Learn to pray always in the name of Jesus Christ (3 Nephi 18:19–20). The Spirit of the Lord will attend you, and you will be blessed. And the waters can be smooth once again in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment